Sunday, September 13, 2009

Sunday rotogravure

...you can ask your grandparents what that means, kids.

I had a busy, sociable Sunday. It started with a Skype conversation with my BFF, followed by a solitary run down by the stream...                                                                                                                                              

...and in Alice Park, where there was a magpie:
 
They have a harsh cry and gorgeous, iridescent feathers (which the photo barely hints at), and that dichotomy fits their names: "mag" reminds me of maggots, and "pie" reminds me of... well, pie.
When I got back home, Lauren, who lives three blocks away, was looking up at my balcony; she and two friends visiting from Daegu had come to take me to a French pastry shop she promised was heavenly, et mon dieu, mes amis, c'est vrai. Paris Croissant (not to be confused with the thoroughly pedestrian Paris Baguette chain) is incredible... ooey gooey oozing cinnamon rolls and creamy choux and orange (fruit) French toast and blueberry yogurt and... I'm glad I don't know how to get back there, or I'd be lighter in the wallet and heavier everywhere else than I already am.

After that, I went to school to do some work and talked awhile with Chris, then caught the bus to the subway to the other subway to the other other subway to Olympic Park...
It's a huge plaza, open to the sky in a way that nothing in Daegu is, leading to a big grassy park with a lake. But I wasn't there for the landscape, I was there to have dinner with my ex-student and runner at St. Joe, Margaret Baker, who is almost done with her year in Seoul. We hadn't seen each other in years; she's gotten taller head-to-toe and I've gotten taller side-to-side. She and I look something like this:
We had a lovely time catching up, and I made the long trip home, passing the LG R and D building down the block from the apartment...
...back to the enthusiastic welcome of Tug McClaw...
...who, as you can tell, was ecstatic to see me.

...so, all in all, it was a good day, though now it's 11:15 p.m., I need to get up at 6:30 and my delightful neighbor across the hall is practicing his electric guitar, amp and all. Unbelievable. And Blogger's screwing up the formatting and Tug's yowling and I'm wide awake...

I do like "Tug McClaw", though. It just popped into my head. So the day was worthwhile.

No comments: