Thursday, November 26, 2009

Pi r not square, pi r round

Today is, theoretically at least, Thanksgiving. Last year, Robert, one of the teachers at the Samduk LIKE School, laid out big bucks for a whole bunch of us to go to the ultra-fancy dinner at the Novotel; it's funny now to look at the photo on this blog and realize I'm the only one still in Korea.

Anyway, no such luck this year; it's just another working day for us. Some of my coworkers are going out to a big "Thanksgiving" dinner on Saturday, but I'm not paying 35,000 Won to eat side dishes. And Thanksgiving is today.

I have always really loved Thanksgiving, with the family together but without the hype and pressure of Christmas. I say that knowing full well that there was no pressure for me because, having a mom who never taught me anything in the kitchen other than which half of the big white box the ice cream goes in, I never had to do anything but watch balloons and then football and then eat. We had traditional male and female roles in my family, and I'm still totally incompetent when it comes to cooking.

On Cheosok, Korea's Thanksgiving, the women not only do all the work but also wait till the men have eaten, including dessert, before they sit down to eat. So I guess the Cornman family was enlightened in allowing the women to eat with the men.

Anyway, I was at Costco last night and on the spur of the moment grabbed a pumpkin pie to bring to work and share out at lunchtime. It's the only thing at Costco here that's a bargain, under seven bucks for a pie the size of a Mack truck tire. With luck, it will be tastier than that, however.

So... Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. It's ironic: I'm more thankful than ever in my life, but I guess I have to do my thanking unofficially. Thanks for being in my life.

No comments: