Monday, March 22, 2010

Thanks for the memories

I got up today at 3:40 a.m.

Now it's 5 a.m. and halftime, with Cornell leading Wisconsin by 12 points. In my last post, I mentioned that I remember that the first Big Red basketball game my parents took me to, when I was six, was an 84-80 double-overtime loss to Colgate. I just looked it up: exactly right, in the first game of the 1960-61 season. I've kept space for that in my mind (probably crowding out something that would actually be useful) for 49 years and three months.

Great honk, my mind is an odd thing.
Update: Cornell crushed a supposedly superior team again, this time by 18. (It wasn't that close.) No matter what happens next, this goes on my all-time short list of great sports moments, next to the Giants-Pats Super Bowl, the '69 and '86 World Series (Serieses?), the 1980 US hockey team, and the time I made a home run by kicking the ball all the way to Mrs. Bell's kindergarten classroom in 1959.

Now I just have to survive a school day after the adrenaline and caffeine wear off. Totally, totally worth it.

No comments: