Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Yes, it's like this

My fiftieth year had come and gone,
I sat, a solitary man,
In a crowded London shop,
An open book and empty cup
On the marble table-top.
While on the shop and street I gazed
My body of a sudden blazed;
And twenty minutes more or less
It seemed, so great my happiness,
That I was blessed and could bless.

-William Butler Yeats

...it came over me today, searching for deodorant in the tiny dark shops (separated by shoulder-width aisles) peddling Williams Lectric-Shave and Aqua Velva in the black-market alleyways, as the neon and Christmas tree lights of downtown came on and the air grew chilly, that I could say something I haven't said enough in my life: I'm happy.

More and more often, over a cup of coffee and a book at Hami Mami's, or running in the little park on the hill above the swan boats, or waiting for the 508 bus with the sun in my eyes and the wind in my face... I get a moment of grace, and I am blessed and can bless.

No comments: