Thursday, July 16, 2009

Rainy day people

"Hey sunshine, I haven't seen you in a long time;
why don't you show your face and bend my mind?"
-
"Cloudy", Simon and Garfunkel

It's been raining, or gray, sticky, and threatening to rain, every day for what seems like forever. The other night the wind came up and the sky opened and it felt exactly like St. Augustine just as you throw everything in the car to evacuate for the hurricane. I'm getting cabin fever here.

Jesse, the new teacher at our school, came to me last week and said that she had heard that I was the guy to talk to about going to Mt. Palgongsan and Donghwasa Temple. I am, in fact, the guy. So we set up a trip for Monday but it rained. So we set up a trip for this morning. I worked till midnight, went to bed by 1:30, set the alarm for 8:00, woke up at 6:00 to a steady rain, went back to sleep, woke up a little later to beautiful sunny skies, birds chirping, sun smiling down as if it had two scoops of raisins for me.

Then I woke up for real to a downpour out of the Old Testament.

We start the summer session Monday, which means working morning till late afternoon every day. I don't know when we'll ever make that hike. If I don't get back to Palgongsan one more time before the move, it will test my serene detachment levels.

I am at one with the Universe; I am at peace. Dammit.

No comments: